Yes, you read that right. It’s the Marist Mindset List, not the Beloit Mindset List. It’s the same Mindset list as before, but it now has a new home. If you’ve never heard of the Mindset List before, here’s the full press release. The short version is
The Marist Mindset List is created by Ron Nief, Director Emeritus of Public Affairs at Beloit College, along with educators McBride and Westerberg, Shaffer, and Zurhellen. Additional items on the list, as well as commentaries and guides, can be found at www.marist.edu/mindset-list and www.themindsetlist.com.
As always, I enjoy looking over the list, even though it makes me feel really old. Here are a few of the items I found particularly striking this year.
- Like Pearl Harbor for their grandparents, and the Kennedy assassination for their parents, 9/11 is an historical event.
- The primary use of a phone has always been to take pictures.
- The nation’s mantra has always been: “If you see something, say something.”
- They are as non-judgmental about sexual orientation as their parents were about smoking pot.
- Apple iPods have always been nostalgic.
You can find the full list at www.marist.edu/mindset-list. Enjoy!