English: Logo of the National Science Foundation (NSF). For NSF logo information visit: http://www.nsf.gov/policies/logos.jsp (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Here's some information about the program copied from the web page:
In NSF 13-109, FY 2013 Career-Life Balance (CLB) Supplemental Funding Opportunities in support of Postdoctoral Investigators funded by NSF awards, the Foundation announced that PIs are eligible to submit supplemental funding request to support additional personnel (e.g., research technicians or equivalent) to sustain research while the postdoctoral researcher is on family leave. These requests may include funding for up to 3 months of salary support, for a maximum of $12,000 in salary compensation. The fringe benefits and associated indirect costs may be in addition to the salary payment and, therefore, the total supplemental funding request may exceed $12,000.
The Supplemental Funding Requests in support of Postdoctoral Investigators funded by NSF awards must:
- Clearly specify that this is a CLB supplemental funding request;
- Provide a description of how the technician (or equivalent) would be used to sustain the research effort while the postdoctoral investigator is on leave;
- Provide a budget and budget justification in support of requested costs;
- Identify the proposed period of performance for the technician; and
- Include the following statement:
"The Authorized Organizational Representative hereby certifies that the request for a technician is because the postdoctoral researcher is, or will be, on family leave status (or equivalent) from the institution in accordance with the institution's policies."
There should be no privacy related information provided in this request, i.e., the rationale for leave should not be disclosed to NSF.
Additional questions should be directed to the cognizant NSF program director identified in the award notice.
1Information is available at http://www.nsf.gov/career-life-balance/.