Next: Alternatives to expected utility
Up: Decision Making Under Uncertainty:
Previous: Sensitivity Analysis
Question: Should logging be halted immediately in all old-growth
forests of the Pacific Northwest?
- Define the possible outcomes
- Define the some gain/loss functions, e.g., for northern
spotted owl, economic impact on local communities
- Define the intermediate states that affect the probabilities of
the various outcomes
- Define the branch-specific probabilities of particular event
- Calculate the expected gains and losses
- Translate the expected gains and losses into utilities.
- Explore sensitivity of outcome to various parameters.